Lemon-Rub Steak Ingredients
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ tsp whole black peppercorns
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 x 175g sirloin steaks
- Leafy green salad, to serve
Tomato Salsa Steak Ingredients
- 4 roma tomatoes, halved lengthways
- 2 tbs olive oil, plus extra to brush
- ½ bunch of coriander, leaves picked
- ½ bunch of mint, leaves picked
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- Juice of ½ lemon
Using a pestle and mortar, grind the lemon zest, chopped garlic, black peppercorns and cumin seeds until well blended. Add the dried oregano, cayenne pepper and ½ teaspoon of sea salt, and grind again. Rub mixture into the steaks and set aside for an hour or two.
Preheat the barbecue to medium.
Meanwhile, for the tomato salsa, brush the tomato with the extra olive oil and place on the barbecue, cut-side down, cook for 5 -8 minutes until softened and a little charred. Slip off the tomato skins and finely chop the flesh.
Finely chop the coriander and mint leaves, and mix with the chopped tomato, onion, chilli, olive oil and lemon juice. Season to taste.
Increase the barbecue heat to medium-high and lightly oil the grill plate. Barbecue the steaks for 3-4 minutes on each side for a medium to medium-rare-cooked steak. Serve each steak with a good dollop of charred tomato salsa and leafy green salad.